Tuesday 10 February 2015

Can swishing some oil in your mouth whiten your teeth? The art of 'Oil Pulling'



So last week I had a nasty cold and I was feeling sorry for myself. My skin was dry, my lips were cracked, my nose was a tap and I was coughing so much that I was developing a six pack (I wish)...I am an absolute drama queen when I get ill and I just resented having to spend time in bed. 
While in bed I had been researching something called "oil pulling" I’d heard about it before from my wise mother but at the time I sort of thought 'Yeah O.K.’ But now with my eating habits starting to take a toll on my teeth, I thought I better give it a go.



What is Oil Pulling?

It's basically putting a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach and swishing it around your mouth for 10 - 20 minutes. The toxins attach themselves to the oil to get rid of the bacteria in the mouth. After the swishing you MUST spit out the oil otherwise you will be swallowing all the toxins (Yuck)!

What oil should be used?
 
Well people can use olive, sesame or vegetable oil etc but the best stuff to use is coconut oil as it does not stain the teeth and has antibacterial qualities. So I decided I was going to stick to using coconut oil.

What are the benefits to oil pulling?
 
The claims are somewhat unbelievable! I'm a rather cynical person and I don't really believe things unless I see proof...the claims are:

1. whitens teeth
 
2. Reduces tooth cavities and eradicates bad breath
 
3.Reduces headaches
4.keeps the skin clear
5. Increases Energy
 
6. Detoxes the body
 
And it continues!

I have been very lucky to have straight white teeth and I only have one filling. However recently I've noticed my tea and cappuccino drinking habits have slightly stained my teeth and unfortunately I also have an incredibly sweet tooth. So if this oil pulling business means that my teeth are whiter and my trips to the dentists don't involve any drills then I'm going to keep going with it.
 





So when is the best time to oil pull? 
First thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. Note that for those15 minutes you won't be able to talk so it's best to warn everyone about it...this is great for my hubby as it means that I'm silent for the first 15 minutes of the day. Make sure when you are done with the swishing you dispose of it in the bin, not in the sink otherwise you can clog up your drains. Ok so after the swishing is done, rinse out your mouth and brush your teeth and voila!!

A bit of advice
 
Swish when you are doing something else there is nothing worse than standing by the clock and thinking...I've done 2 minutes now, only 13 to go. While I have been swishing I have had a shower, made breakfast or made my son's packed lunch.
 
If you find that you have over filled your mouth, spit some out, don't suffer or swallow any!
 
Coconut oil is a solid so when you put it in your mouth, it will start melting so don't bother trying to melt it before hand.
Initially putting the oil in your mouth will feel really weird but stick with it.
Don't over swish, trust me you will get mouth ache! 15 minutes is a long time!

Where can you get coconut oil from?
 
Health stores and some supermarkets stock the oil now. I love the stuff I use it in my cooking for my hair and body I'm a fan! I've included a few links where you can buy it from.

While researching I found this company called "coco white" (link) and they do flavoured coconut oil in sachets for oil pulling. I haven't tried it myself but if you have please let me know what you think. It's obviously far dearer then buying a jar from Holland and Barrett or Tesco but it is portioned out and flavoured.

Results

After the first time, I saw a bit of a difference my teeth felt cleaner and looked a little whiter. 



*Before
 
I have been swishing for about a week now and I think it has made a difference to the appearance of my teeth.  My teeth don’t seem to get that fuzzy yucky film on them and they are definitely whiter. As for the other claims, I really can’t say that I have more energy etc.  What I do like it that I'm not putting any chemicals on my teeth to whiten them and my teeth feel nice and clean even first thing in the morning.
 
After*

Will I continue with it? Yes, definitely, however it is time consuming and I found that some sites recommended oil swishing twice a day. To be honest I will stick to oil swishing every other day.


Let me know what you think and if you have oil swished before.
 
Places to buy coconut oil:
 
Tesco
 
Holland and Barrett
 
Amazon
Love, Minoushe xx

*No filters used

No comments:

Post a Comment