Friday 27 February 2015

Pregnancy can be hard!

Quote of the week: Mummy I’m glad the baby will use my old cot because I’ll get to lie in my bed knowing I was the first to fart in it!

Let's put it this way nothing really works out how you planned it to and if it did life would be boring. I know I haven't posted in a long time not because I have had ‘writers block’ but because thinking back to my first pregnancy experience was difficult.  I remember it very clearly and what I remember most of all is how it was nothing like I imagined!

I have a 7 year old and you would think that if I was having another one I would have had it four years ago??? Well wrong..I did always have the intention to but I think my first time round of being pregnant was a shock and to be honest not a lot of mums like to admit it but I will. I found it tough! I found being pregnant really hard. How my body changed was a shock..instead of craving cucumber I craved pizza and chocolate milk. I ended up gaining six stone or what I prefer to say I gained a 12 year old!

Friends looked at me worryingly and held their breath every time I waddled down the corridor..the students I taught wanted me to sit down as they were terrified I'd go into early labour..the PE department referred to me as 'the Unit'. I was constantly asked if I was having twins (trust me I wanted to slap those insensitive idiots silly).

Looking back I can see I made a huge mistake when I found out I was pregnant I wanted everyone to notice I was pregnant so I naively ate and ate..when I was 12 weeks pregnant I looked like I was 25 weeks pregnant. I retained so much water I had to take my wedding rings off..I remember remarking to my husband that my wedding ring didn't fit but it didn't matter anymore whether I was taken or not because I was clearly off limits

After the birth of my little boy I did something I should have never done I decided to try on my pre-pregnancy jeans and I was heart broken when I found that they didn't even fit through my foot.. It was awful, I felt so down..I became invisible to the opposite sex and instead of doors being held for me they were just slammed in my face.  Don't get me wrong it's not that I wanted every man staring at me but its nice to get a compliment (from a man or woman).  Instead of enjoying my beautiful little boy, I felt alone, I felt like I had lost my identity. Feeling like this made me feel guilty and I suppose it’s only now I feel ready to have another one.

Some women have wonderful experiences of pregnancy but it’s ok if you are not one of them! I’m not only dedicating this post to all mummies that found it difficult but also to those who will want to be mums in the future.  It’s important to realise whatever you experience, it’s ok...I guarantee you won’t be the only one.

Here are my do’s and don’ts when pregnant…
  1. Do join a pregnancy yoga class. It’s great to talking to other people in the same position as you and the stretching helps with all the back pain.
  2. Do get a pregnancy pillow.  It will help you and your partner get some sleep at night.
  3. Do get some cream to massage into your belly and body.  

  4. Do drink lots of water.
  5. Do eat lots of fruit and vegetables, if you are not that keen make a smoothie!

  6. If you crave something like pizza or cheesecake, have it but don’t go crazy.

  7. Do join the NCT and if this is your 2nd baby, they do a refresher course.
  8. Don’t google all your symptoms, trust me it can scare the living daylights out of you. Speak to a midwife instead.
  9. Do go to a baby show, you get lots of freebies and you can get an idea of all the new products out there.

  10. Don’t compare bumps, remember everyone is different!
  11. Don’t eat for two! You will probably need to eat more but don’t go crazy.
  12. If you are feeling really down, don’t ignore the signs, speak to your GP or midwife. They will provide you with support.



Much Love,


Minoushe xx  


No comments:

Post a Comment